Saturday 21 April 2012

Confidence building

After the local circus visit a few weeks back, where Chloe was extremely anxious about it all with a full on panic attack at the thought of venturing into the unknown, I wanted to find some way of encouraging her confidence and give her something to focus on and enjoy.

Chloe is a right diva, and has always loved singing and dancing and has the attitude to rival any stroppy tween actor so I thought it would be great for her to rein in her attitude and focus it on proper structured acting and singing, and hoping attending a drama school it would help to rebuild her confidence which has dropped since moving house.


So I searched online and found a local singing, dancing and acting stage school. I phoned up and enrolled her; to start today.

The past few weeks Chloe has eagerly crossed of the dates on her calender, talked about going to the classes and genuinely sounding excited about the whole process.

This morning comes and her enthusiasm drops. As I was fully expecting it too. I  tried to encouraged her to give it ago, and not to be scared until she'd been and seen how it all was.

Luckily because I was prepared for the negative attitude I had a few encouraging tricks up my sleeve.

New black leggings and tops for her to wear so she looked the part, The promise of a trip to the local shop to by snack bars and drinks.

These worked somewhat, and on the way to the local shop I managed to convert her back into being excited to go and see before making her mind up about the session.By the time we had picked out some snacks and returned home she was full of smiles and eager to go.

So on the journey there she was happy, no tears at all, all was looking good.


Then we walked in the door and she withdrew and said she didn't want to stay. We were about 5 minutes late (we are ALWAYS late for everything) so the teacher was just starting to talk to everyone, and she made it brief saying right everyone off we go, and hurried Chloe off with a set of other girls. Chloe by now was  looking tearful, I reassured her I would stay for a few minute to fill in some forms and come see how she was getting on after, she didn't want to venture with the others, but they were very sweet and a group of them encouraged her to go along saying they had also been upset on their first day.

So she went, all but reluctantly with tears staining her cheeks.

I then had a chat with the teacher and had to make the decision of if to go and see her and risk making her upset again, or if to leave her be and hope she wasn't too scared and started to enjoy it.

We decided in the end to send the teacher in to see how she was, and providing she wasn't sat curled up in a ball wailing loudly, we would sneek off, I  looked through the door and saw her sat looking red eyed and puffy cheeked, but sat with the others joining in the singing.

And on that note I turned and left.

I do hope she has enjoyed it,  time will tell, we pick her up at 1pm, it will either be a case of her never ever wanting to go again and it may have back fired horribly and result in her never leaving my side in the future..... or she will have loved it and come out with renewed confidence.



14 comments:

  1. Well done, J has problems with his confidance and suffers now from a lack of friends. i suppose he is an only one. though he has a lot of friends at school and friends within the Rugby and cricket teams he plays for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right sometimes you just have to plonk your kids into activities x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you its difficult when you know they are upset but sometimes you have to just do what you think will be for the best, Chloe is fine once she gets over the initial nerves of a new situation, she is back now from the dance class and LOVED it! :D

      Delete
  3. I was just about to say that I am sure she would have enjoyed it when she got started then I've read your comment. Glad she had a lovely time and good on you for being brave! I've only seen the other side, working in Reception and assuring parents that their babies will be fine. Bet it's hard to do. Lovely photos! The one under the tree is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless her. I remember feeling similarly a few times growing up. How did she get on in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she really enjoyed it! I knew she would just getting over the initial nerves

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad Chloe enjoyed the class - it's hard though when they get anxious and don't want to go. Sometimes the best thing you can do is grit your teeth and stick to the plan. It feels horrible at the time, but deep down you know how much they'll get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe is terrible with the anxiety hoping the drama helps

      Delete
  6. Hi sarah. Thanks for popping over to my blog. It would seem we have very similar lives....3 kids, 1 dog and an anxious child. My daughter has been through similar issues and we too opted for a drama/dance/singing class. It has done wonders for her confidence. I hope your daughter continues to enjoy it. Can me tough as a mummy though cant it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming back over here and saying hi, glad your daughters confidence has been boosted by a drama class hoping the same goes for Chloe :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos. I hope Chloe continues to enjoy the drama sessions and it helps her general anxiety as well. Hard as it is, sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind. It would be much harder through the rest of her life if Chloe doesn't get your help now to overcome this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, its awful being nervious as an adult missing out on things due to the fear of the unknown x

      Delete
  8. Just read through comments and see that she enjoyed it! So pleased for her (and you)! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless her - I am so pleased that she enjoyed it in the end x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...